Poached Mackerel Roll with Spiced Mayonnaise
The classic sandwich rolls of New England tradition are among the best ways to enjoy shore-fresh seafood. Nothing tops sitting in the sun holding a lobster roll and a cold beer. Lobster can be expensive, though, so try this version with mackerel. Poached Maine shrimp also work well. Serve the sandwiches with a fresh green or Sweet Potato Salad.
- 1 pound skinned Spanish or Boston (not king) mackerel fillets
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 4 potato rolls
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or melted butter
Place the fillets in a skillet just large enough to fit them in a single layer. Add the lemon juice and thyme and season to taste with salt. Barely cover the fillets with cold water and place over medium heat. Cook 8 minutes and remove from the heat. Check the doneness of the fillets. If they are still not quite cooked through, let them hang out in the water for another few minutes; the residual heat will continue to cook them. Then strain the water and chill the fillets until cold. They will keep for up to a day before they begin to lose flavor.
Preheat the broiler.
In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mace, celery, shallot, and a little salt. Mix to combine, then flake in the chilled mackerel. Gently mix by hand to coat it with the mayonnaise.
Brush the potato rolls with the canola oil and place under the broiler. Remove when golden brown and fill each with a generous heap of the mackerel mixture.
- Anchovies and Peppers
- Avocado-Dill Soup with Smoked Trout
- Butternut Soup with Dungeness Crab
- Garlic-Yogurt Mashed Potatoes
- Grilled Greens
- Halibut with Ginger-Raisin Crust
- Mixed Seafood Salad
- Orange and Fennel Salad with Anchovy Vinaigrette
- Poached Mackerel Roll with Spiced Mayonnaise
- Raw Kale Salad
- Roast Pepper Gazpacho with Smoked Mussels
- Sardines with Currants and Roasted Pine Nuts
- Sautéed Greens with Orange, Anchovy, and Red Onion
- Smoked Sardines with Heirloom Tomatoes and Herbs
- Steamed Clams and Basil Pesto
- Txalaparta Bread Dip
- Wild Striped Bass with Cilantro-Onion Salad and Yogurt-Avocado Purée